First Case of The Lethal Anthrax Pneumonia Reported in China
Anthrax pneumonia was reported in Chengde, Hebei Province, China, on Monday. The patient had a history of contact with cattle, sheep, and products obtained from these animals.
According to the state-run Global Times report, the Beijing Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (Beijing CDC) said that after showing symptoms, the patient was referred to Beijing by ambulance four days ago, quarantined, and treated.
Cattle and sheep are both susceptible to Anthrax. Infection generally occurs when humans come in contact with sick animals or contaminated products. According to the Beijing CDC, skin contact is the most prevalent form of infection, accounting for 95% of reported cases and leading to blisters and skin necrosis.
Anthrax pneumonia is the most serious infection, which occurs when a patient gets infected after inhaling dust containing the bacteria Bacillus anthracis.
Bacillus anthracis bacterial infection can be treated by multiple antibiotics treatment, the report said.
People who by chance ingest contaminated food, mainly meat, can get intestinal Anthrax, which causes nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Anthrax can be spread from person to person. However, it is not as contagious as the flu or COVID-19.
Since Sunday, Beijing has ramped up measures to prevent the spread of coronavirus cases by virtually barring individuals from visiting the Chinese capital from areas with COVID-19 delta infections throughout the country.
Beijing has implemented a number of measures to improve the management of individuals returning from areas with high viral transmission rates, including limiting their ability to purchase train and air tickets because it seems now the authorities are tackling coronavirus and the bacterium Bacillus anthracis.